Bild Stalag VII A Moosburg and other POW camps
Bild Stalag VII A Moosburg et autres camps de prisonniers de guerre

Moderator: Jordi

decora
Mitglied

Meinel, the Gestapo, and the Russian POWS

Beitragvon decora » 23.02.2009, 07:29

Dear Forum,

I would like to know the story of Major Meinel and the Russian POWs at Stalag Moosburg in 1941. There are a few documents in English from the IMT trial, in the "Nazi Conspiracy and Aggression" book from the IMT at nuremberg. (http://www.historiography-project.com/n ... CAA-4.html). But that was written in the late 1940s.

So, I dont understand exactly what happened. About HSSPF von Eberstein... was he tried in court later, in the 50s or 60s, for his participation in the whole case? What exactly was his authority as HSSPF in this case? Was anyone else on trial for what happened to those Russian POWs? What online german sources might talk about this in more detail? Would it have been in national German newspapers of the time? Who would have brought this case ? Does germany have 'attorney general's for states, like in the US?

What about Regierungsrat Schimmel. , von Saur, Schermer, Weber, etc? what happened to them? Did the Russian POW's families ever find out what happened to them? Where did the orders come from, from the top ? Heydrich? Himmler? Why?

Thanks.

Jordi
Administrator
Re: Meinel, the Gestapo, and the Russian POWS

Beitragvon Jordi » 23.02.2009, 17:56

Welcome, decora,

We have a short excerpt of Alfred Streim's book on our website which includes Meinel's testimony. I suppose that Reinhard Otto's newer book "Wehrmacht, Gestapo und sowjetische Kriegsgefangene im sowjetisch-deutschen Reichsgebiet 1941/42" may answer your questions. It is partially accessible online at Libreka.

Wikipedia has some information about von Eberstein. As HSSPF and later as commander of POWs, he was responsible for the Army District VII (including Moosburg and Dachau); his trial about the selection and murder of Soviet POWs was discontinued in 1961.

As far as I understand it, the Commissar Order didn't come from the SS (Himmler, Heydrich) but from the OKW itself. Heydrich was involved as head of the SD which carried out the selection of POWs.

Yes, every federal state has a Generalstaatsanwalt. The archives for war crime trials are the Federal Archives at Ludwigsburg.
Werner Schwarz (Moosburg Online)

decora
Mitglied

Re: Meinel, the Gestapo, and the Russian POWS

Beitragvon decora » 23.02.2009, 22:37

Thank you very much Jordi, I appreciate your help. I also appreciate whoever posted the excerpts from Mr Steim's book. Thanks again.

Zurück zu „Stalag VII A“