Bild Stalag VII A Moosburg und andere Kriegsgefangenenlager
Bild Stalag VII A Moosburg and other POW camps
Bild Stalag VII A Moosburg et autres camps de prisonniers de guerre

Moderator: Jordi

Jordi
Administrator
Stalag 308 Memorial at Kursk

Beitragvon Jordi » 03.11.2009, 13:03

Our reader Hartmut Morgeneyer contributed photos taken at the Stalag Memorial in Karl Marx Street, Kursk, Russia.

Bild

The inscription on the plaque reads:

Here rest
Soviet prisoners of war
killed in 1941-1943
in a branch of the German camp
STALAG 308 (VIII E).
Their number is unknown.

Bild

So far, we had had no knowledge of this POW camp whose official name was probably Stalag 308 (VIII E)/Z. It was a branch camp (Zweiglager) of Stalag 308 (VIII E). The main camp changed its location several times. It was moved from Neuhammer am Queis (now Swietoszow), Poland, to Sumy, Ukraine, and finally to Bathorn, Germany. Another POW camp in Kursk was Dulag 314.
Werner Schwarz (Moosburg Online)

Jordi
Administrator
Re: Stalag 308 Memorial at Kursk

Beitragvon Jordi » 06.12.2009, 13:42

The site was later used as a Soviet POW camp (no. 147). Hartmut Morgeneyer's father Wilhelm was one of the German prisoners who died there. This page tells his story.

Bild
Werner Schwarz (Moosburg Online)

aamymoore
Mitglied

Beitragvon aamymoore » 06.04.2011, 12:30

Don't know why readers haven't contributed yet on such an iconic story. Preparing easier version of story, will share soon, hoping will bring some responses at large. Feeling sick!

Mosi
Mitglied

Beitragvon Mosi » 24.10.2012, 15:18

Jordi hat geschrieben:The site was later used as a Soviet POW camp (no. 147). Hartmut Morgeneyer's father Wilhelm was one of the German prisoners who died there. This page tells his story.

Bild

I have been in Kursk some years ago and I visited the memorial. It was a special feeling to be there. Thank you for your site. I am goingt to read something about Wilhelm Morgeneyer now.

Best regards

daavidfischer
Mitglied

Beitragvon daavidfischer » 05.11.2012, 11:52

The memorials of great war heroes are ignored everywhere through ages. This is a common practice in all parts of the world. In some countries these memorials are destroyed to create space for new building and houses. It is really unfair to the family of these warriors and to the society as a whole. Peace.

Boboris
Mitglied

Beitragvon Boboris » 31.12.2012, 16:56

Mosi hat geschrieben:
Jordi hat geschrieben:The site was later used as a Soviet POW camp (no. 147). Hartmut Morgeneyer's father Wilhelm was one of the German prisoners who died there. This page tells the story.

Bild

I have been in Kursk some years ago and I visited the memorial. It was a special feeling to be there. Thank you for your site. I am goingt to read something about Wilhelm Morgeneyer now.

Best regards

It is nice to see that someone has interest in this :)

daavidfischer hat geschrieben:The memorials of great war heroes are ignored everywhere through ages. This is a common practice in all parts of the world. In some countries these memorials are destroyed to create space for new building and houses. It is really unfair to the family of these warriors and to the society as a whole. Peace.

You are right. It is not just that they are getting forgotten but the people are in rage that the monument still exists. The people are rude...

daavidfischer
Mitglied

Beitragvon daavidfischer » 22.03.2016, 11:26

This always gives my goose bumps while reading these posts. I don’t know why. I actually respect all those great souls who gave their life to protect us. But then this world is still cursed with all those war and hatred. We should be ashamed of it.

Zurück zu „Stalag VII A“